75%
Other type of measuring
No votes

Total votes: 12

trazman
Site Admin

Rangefinder -single unit or integrated?

Postby trazman » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:57 pm

What kind of rangefinders do you prefer?

trazman
Site Admin

Re: Rangefinder -single unit or integrated?

Postby trazman » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:00 pm

I have a Leica Geovid 8x56 binocular with integrated rangefinder. I found it deadly accurate up to 1200m, sometimes in perfect conditions even more. I prefer a single unit, so I don't carry so much equipment... 1200m is not enough for target shooting, but for hunting I don't need more.

Deerhunter338mag

Postby Deerhunter338mag » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:45 am

For long range hunting life is much easy with my leica geovid 15x56 binos. I spot the deer range it and then get down to business. I also have the handheld Zeiss PRF 8x26 which is and awesome bit of kit as well.
Aim small, miss small

trazman
Site Admin

Postby trazman » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:22 pm

Deerhunter338mag, I saw you mount the gloved on a tripod, is it an original adapter made by leica or have you done something? I have made one by myself, but I am not happy with it... And I found ranging longer distances is much more reliable with a tripod...

Deerhunter338mag

Postby Deerhunter338mag » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:42 am

trazman wrote:Deerhunter338mag, I saw you mount the gloved on a tripod, is it an original adapter made by leica or have you done something? I have made one by myself, but I am not happy with it... And I found ranging longer distances is much more reliable with a tripod...

Yeah it's the original Leica adapter I mount on a manfrotto tripod. I have the the Leica adapter fitted with the manfrotto one as well as I have fitted a second manfrotto adapter to my video camera for a quick change over.
Aim small, miss small

Tetrao

Postby Tetrao » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:15 am

I've had the Leica CRF 1200, but now I have a Swarovski 8x42 EL Range
The Leica is really smal and light and I kind of miss it. If you are a lightweight-gear fanatic then it's no doubt, go for the Leica. It can be used as a bino, it's not optimal, but works.
The Leica has crisp glass and a great laser. I've measured out to 1219 meters.
If I were to go for a singel unit range finder I would have choosen the Leica CRF 1600. A bit longer range capability and angel indicator.
I sold my Leica to buy the Swaro.
I needed a bino, and instead of having 2 units, I wanted to have only one. The Swaro is of course heavyer than a bino without rangefinder, but the weight of a bino and the Leica is about the same. I use my bino a lot, and for me it's a releaf not to have to change between bino and rangefinder. The Swaro has of course quality glass as you would expect. I had one of the first EL Range, and the software had some "bugs". Sometimes it was hard to get a reading of the range, but after I got it back from software utdate from Swarovski (free of charge) it works like a charm. I have measured out to 2054 meters. The angel indicator is nice to have. I have not yet used the provided pc program that follows with the bino, but planing to use it (you can program the bino to you're ammunition, and get the drop informatoin in the display). It's absolutly one of the best gear investment I have done.
Last edited by Tetrao on Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

trazman
Site Admin

Postby trazman » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:24 pm

Wow, I didn't know that Swaro can measure so far... 2000m is a long way... When it comes to integrated programs I have to say that I don't like them to much. Usually they only accept G1 BCs, and are a little bit on the "amateur" side... I prefer applications designed for drop compensation, and the most important rule for me is: Use G7 BC, if there is not in the app change the app...

Deerhunter338mag

Postby Deerhunter338mag » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:38 am

A mate had a terrapin for he's 375 cheytac but end up selling it for a pair of Swarovski EL Range 10x42. He was ranging out to 1600 meters on good days and been binos made it easer to pick the deer up as the terrapin was only mono and much harder to pick up. He still uses the Leica 15x56 Geovid binos to find them. but would be nice if Leica stepped up or Swaro made a set of 15x56 with Rangefinder built in.
Aim small, miss small

Tetrao

Postby Tetrao » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:56 am

In the spec for the EL Range, the measuring range is 30-1375 meters. I have had multiple readings above this. I also mange to get reading on a moving snowmobile at 1900 meters. This is offcourse with a reast, but I have no problem measuring out to about 1000 meters holding the bino only with my hands.

squeek

Postby squeek » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:01 pm

I'm using a leica rangemaster 800. Great tool unless it gets foggy.

I use it mostly to map the hunting theatre beforehand so I know more or less how far the game is when it shows up. When I stalk the distance will most likely be under 175 metres and I shoot point blank

Return to “Equipment”