Long Range Hunting tutorial with Eu-LRH

trazman
Site Admin

Long Range Hunting tutorial with Eu-LRH

Postby trazman » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:57 pm

In a few weeks we will start makeing a video series of long range hunting tutorials. It is welcome, that you tell us what you would like us to insert in this series, so that you can expand your knowledge.

Deerhunter338mag

Re: Long Range Hunting tutorial with Eu-LRH

Postby Deerhunter338mag » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:52 am

I have found the biggest issue in long range for me is the wind. The programes out there now give you your look angle and dial in with all the other factors added in as well. But that bloody wind is a pain. I like to us the clock for my wind values as others use degrees. I'm always interested in learning other people's ideas and the way they work the wind out. I'm using a Kestrel myself and it's easy to get the wind at the muzzel but it can move and dart all over the joint and 1/2 a moa here and there can be a miss at the ranges I like to shoot at.
Cheers
Aim small, miss small

Knut Erik

Postby Knut Erik » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:54 am

Reading wind takes years of practise.
The best ways of trying to understand, is to use the surroundings, and watch what happens to trees, straws and other things, in different windspeeds.
After a while, you will learn the wind speed just by looking at movement in the trees. Then you need to study the terrain down range, and estimate windspeed from what you can see. For a 1000 meter + shot, I can use 10 minutes just looking at my surroundings between me and my target. If the wind is blowing in different directions, then you have a new challenge. The best way to learn, is to shoot alot in wind.

2 years ago, I went out everyday for several weeks, and made a cold bore shot at 1000 meters, at 10 o'clock in the morning, no matter what weather and wind. I filmed all my shots, and took notes, and I learned alot. It is hard to write about wind reading, it is not easy to teach by video, because there are so many variables.

Constant wind from one direction is easy, shooting across valleys and forests is a different story. But that is the fun in shooting. Learning :)
Trust yourself, break some rules, don't be afraid to fail. Ignore the naysayers, work like hell, and give something back..

trazman
Site Admin

Postby trazman » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:02 pm

phpBB [video]

Lrhunter

Postby Lrhunter » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:27 am

I am hardly waiting for this series!

Return to “Videos”