The short and the long of it

Detailed product reviews. You can find them here:REVIEWS
trazman
Site Admin

The short and the long of it

Postby trazman » Mon May 30, 2016 3:18 pm

This is a thread for discussion of The short and the long of it Blaser barrel review. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the product review.

sav338

Re: The short and the long of it

Postby sav338 » Mon May 30, 2016 10:13 pm

Hi Bob,
Are you able to post how the lab radar plotted the Valocities at muzzle then down range ?
Cheers
Steve

stokesrj

Re: The short and the long of it

Postby stokesrj » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:57 pm

Hi Steve,
Sorry I didn't see your question until now. The Lab Radar measures the speed of the bullet at each cycle of the processor (every 6" to 2 feet depending on the velocity of the bullet) for as far a distance as it can detect the bullet with acceptable signal to noise ratio. So, this means it can see the 9.3mm bullet farther than it can a 5.56mm bullet as an example. In the case of the 9.3mm bullet it can see it for approximately 90 yards before the signal to noise ratio degrades to an unreliable reading. This in turn means I have the velocity of the bullet from the time it enters the radar cone until it is nearly to the target at 100 yards.
I can then compare these readings to a ballistic model and determine an actual BC which sometimes is very different than the published BC. Once I have done this programs like JBM match the actual field performance when using the derived BC.

Return to “Reviews”