Blaser R8 6,5x47

Detailed product reviews. You can find them here:REVIEWS
trazman
Site Admin

Blaser R8 6,5x47

Postby trazman » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:37 pm

This is a thread for discussion of the article Blaser R8 6,5x47 Lapua. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

dchamp

Re: Blaser R8 6,5x47

Postby dchamp » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:52 am

Just finished reading your article on the 6.5x47 with an R8 and enjoyed it very much and learned some new things. While Blaser offers the 6.5x47 here in the United States I didn’t know it was in the 650 mm length. I should have guessed since they offer the 6.5-284 in 650 mm. I thought it would be in their shorter 600 mm length standard barrel like they did with the 6XC.

I do know the 6.5x47 and the 6.5 Creedmoor are very similar and both seem to be very accurate though I think the 6.5x47 is ever so slightly more efficient. I think the 6.5 Creedmoor will end up being more popular in the USA and the 6.5x47 in the EU if for no other reason than the practicality and cost of ammunition and components. It will be fun to see how these two cartridges do as time goes by. I think they will both do well and become standards.
TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT & SPEAK THE TRUTH - COL JEFF COOPER

Nordic Flash

Postby Nordic Flash » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:40 am

Thank your for your positive feedback.

I must say Blaser could have done the marketing communication a bit better in this barrel lenght case. This information is still missing from Blaser web site and the only place you find it right is the new Blaser print catalog. Link below, it is stated at page 58.

http://www.blaser.de/uploads/media/Blas ... log_EN.pdf

So, many have missed the fact yet but that's why we're writing about these facts.

What comes to the competition between these two calibers: You're right. It seems that at the same time 6.5 Creedmore is raising up together with 6,5x47. This trend is clearly caused by the current LRH trend and it is a good thing. Hunters start to require more from their rifles and this is the topic I also touch in my article. I see that also as part of ethical hunting. When people start to use more accurate rifles and gain more knowledge and experience about them, they are also hunting better. A person mastering his tools well is a true professional.

I would say it is also important to see the contradictory in this topic. Prizes and availability of certain ammunition will get better only if certain caliber gains more and more users. So, people in US and EU can sort of help the situation all the time by selecting something else than that normal (And boring) .308 Win which is a bit compromise in many cases... :)
Last edited by Nordic Flash on Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nordic Flash

Postby Nordic Flash » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:42 am

Forgot to mention: There is also a standard Blaser R8 barrel coming in 6.5x47 Lapua.

So, normal 580 mm length, probably no open sights and with muzzle thread. Don't know the details yet but I assume it depends also what the dealers order.

This will anyway make the game even more interesting if you consider 6.5x47 Lapua as an potential option for your hunting rifle...

EDIT: Corrected some typos

Lrhunter

Postby Lrhunter » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:58 pm

This is a really interesting caliber. I had it in a Titan 6. I was really happy with it. It is really good for blaser owners that they have now this caliber in the selection...

Return to “Reviews”